Saturday, September 2, 2023

Birthday Sewing

Miss Ava's birthday is next week.
She doesn't like Barbie dolls but she is playing with a Bitty Baby these days. 


I made an apron, jumper, and diaper out of scraps of her dresses.


Trying on the doll apron. Ava will have one in a similar fabric.


I'm glad I made the doll apron first.
The directions were a little confusing but I worked through them for this finish.


Baby doll outfits


After looking at the clothes, I thought a baby might need a flannel blanket.
The pink and green dot flannel was the lining of a little coat I made for Ava.

The final Gran-made present is a laminated apron for Ava.


I wanted to make a waterproof, paint proof apron.
So, these photos are to help me remember how to do this.

I cut out the pattern pieces from quilting cotton.


I decided to use Pellon 102 vinyl fuse with a matte finish.
I traced around the skirt and bodice pieces on the flat paper side of the vinyl.


I followed the directions and smoothed the fabric onto the vinyl by hand.
Then I ironed on a medium setting.
My iron was almost too hot and I did not leave it as long as directed 
because the vinyl seemed to be melting.


The pattern was the Sunny Day Smock.
I did not laminate the lining or the shoulder and waist ties.


After I understood the apron directions, it was easy to put together.
The vinyl was not hard to sew on and went through the feed dogs like regular fabric.


Ava should be able to use this apron when she paints for several years to come.


Gran-made birthday presents are ready for the party!

Happy sewing.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment