Sunday, July 28, 2013
Finished this 38" X 38" baby quilt last night. Everything except the center fat quarter is from my stash. The baby will be my grandson's first cousin on his father's side of the family. All the borders and backing fabric was left from Liam's quilt, a kit from Connecting Threads.
This is the back. I hope new baby boy has fun times playing on, under, and around this quilt.
Friday, July 26, 2013
This quilt is for the daughter of my sweet friend Vicki. Molly is 12 and was adopted by Vicki this spring. I gave Vicki a quilt for Molly from my stash of practice quilts. But I wanted to make a quilt specially for Molly now that she is here. (She is also one of my English language learners at school.)
I asked Molly what her favorite color was and she said 'purple'. Then I asked what her next favorite color was and she pointed to her aqua/teal shirt. Then I had fun finding fabrics in those colors, from light to dark. I chose musical fabrics, flowers, and animals because I knew those were some of Molly's interests.
The original idea was to randomly sew the squares together but then I found purple/lavendar minky with hearts to use for the backing. I decided to use the purple dark squares to make a heart. Didn't quite have enough so some other darks were included.
I cut 12 fat quarters into 12 five inch squares and arranged them in this pattern. Next time I will take a photo of my plan. It goes from light at the top to dark at the bottom. That was what I wanted. Now I wish I had centered the dark squares on the 10th row. But since it is all finished I will be happy with how it is.
I hope Molly will enjoy cuddling with this quilt.
My wish is that she will feel the love coming from her new family and friends.
I thought about naming this quilt 'Loving hugs for Molly'. What do you think?
Friday, July 19, 2013
This is On Point by Bits N Pieces. I started it in the summer of 2011 thru Stitchin Heaven's Summer Block Party. I received two blocks each week for seven weeks. I enjoyed getting the fabric and directions in the mail each week and then completing the blocks. I purchased the finishing kit and found the backing fabric at a local shop because I wanted something different. So, blocks were finished and they sat until the next summer when I had time to put them together. Then I decided to take the quilt to a longarm quilter. Pam was fantastic. She does lots of quilts and told me there would be a two month wait but I was willing to wait until she could do the quilting. She made a plan that changed the pattern in each block. I hope you can see some of her beautiful quilting in the photos below. I LOVE IT!
Friday, July 12, 2013
Flying geese blocks are my least favorite blocks to make BUT these were really easy. I used the no-waste flying geese method. The blocks are going to be labels for a quilt show in Jackson in September. Each quilt guild in the area has been requested to make some mini turning geese for the show. At the last quilt meeting several quilters complained that the block was really difficult to make. A challenge! That's all it took. I had to try to make some. The block is a little tricky but not impossible if directions are followed.
I may make some more of these. They are great scrap busters. The largest piece needed is 3 1/4 " square. With this block and the migrating geese block, I may have to stop saying 'I hate flying geese.' ;-)