Saturday, November 18, 2017
I have a plan for this coming week. Sewing, sewing, sewing - and no cooking.
But first some progress reports....
January Girl - I have done most of the writing.
Knitting - I made another square and bound it off. Haven't had the official lesson, so I'm going to put knitting aside for the week and concentrate on sewing.
Sorry for the blurry photo. This is the pocket for Ava's jacket. The plan is to finish the jacket this weekend.
After the jacket is finished I'm sewing up this fabric into simple curtains for one window.
We are going to Memphis for Thanksgiving with Joey, Jessie, and baby Ava.
When we get back home the plan is to spend the rest of the week sewing this fabric into a wall hanging for Christmas. We don't have room for a big tree, so this will give us a festive look.
Looking forward to a productive week.
I finished Ava's jacket Saturday night.
Can't wait to see if it fits.
And....the curtains are finished, too!
Very simple, unlined but still a finish!
The Christmas wall hanging is cut out and ready to stitch. Then I will have to wait for the backing and batting to get here - - probably after Thanksgiving.
Sunday, November 12, 2017
This is the first week of earlier dark and I'm glad to have many projects to fill in the time.
First a sort of finish-
I watched some videos by Knit Purl Hunter and decided to try binding off on this practice piece.
Success! A little messy but I did it.
Next up a visit with mom yielded this variety of knitting needles and crochet hooks.
I don't even remember mom knitting. The five items on the left are crochet hooks. I've never needed anything that long before.
This is my first attempt at following a knitting pattern.
Well, actually the second attempt because I pulled out the first try. I forgot to move the yarn from back to front when I changed stitches. I'm waiting for my teacher to officially teach me how to bind off. I think I may try the pattern again and see if I can be a little neater.
Last bit - I started the January Calendar Girl. I couldn't wait any longer.
I need very good light to work on this. The embroidery needles I bought are hard to thread so I may have to get a different brand.
In other news, I decided to embroider a cat on Ava's jacket. She dressed up in a cat costume for Halloween and the cat pattern is cute, so cat it is.
How was your week?
Friday, November 3, 2017
The lining of Ava's jacket is finished.
The shell is finished. It's a blush pink-very pale pink.
Waiting to finish. Embroidery for the pocket is the next step.
Below - Yahoo! January - the first of the Calendar Girls - came today. Can't wait to start.
It comes with pattern, directions, thread, fabric, and buttons.
From Stitches of Love.
This should be fun.
And after 12 months there will be a quilt made with all 12 girls.
A little progress on the knitting lessons.
Today I learned the purl stitch, so now I can knit & purl.
Just have to remember which is which.
And I have an assignment to begin.
Ready for those long winter evenings.
What are you sewing?
Saturday, October 28, 2017
First a finished scarf made from leftover fabric. I made David's big brother a scarf out of the leftover fabric. This is my own design with flannel and fleece. I sewed the sides and left the fleece longer than the flannel so I could have a little fringe.
I had my first knitting lesson yesterday. I have homework! Practice 30 minutes a day. Look for future posts about my (hopeful) progress. Switching from crocheting to knitting should be interesting.
Baby Ava's jacket is cut out. I can't decide what to embroider on the pocket.
I'm leaning toward the fox but the owl and hedgehog are cute, too.
What do you think?
Saturday, October 21, 2017
Part 2 of David's jacket.
The lining was easy to sew together.
The outer shell was easy, too. It took time to finish the little dog embroidery.
I lined the pockets which is not called for in the directions.
Two parts have to be sewn together - but not like this.
Another peek at the cute little dog.
Now the sewing together part.
Right sides together I sewed the hood and bottom.
But not the sleeves. Mmm. I thought there was a way to hem the sleeves on the machine but the directions did not say to do that.
Below is the bottom hem sewn together.
Another look. Now to tackle the sleeves and zipper.
They went together quickly.
I love how David's jacket turned out.
The back is cute, too.
Can't wait to see a picture of David in his red doggie jacket!
The pattern is Burda 9828 with several sizes. The outer shell is fleece and the lining is flannel.
Next up a pink version for baby Ava.
Sunday, October 15, 2017
I'm in the middle of constructing a lined fleece jacket for little grandson David.
He loves dogs and I found this doggie flannel to pair with a red fleece.
the lining was quick to sew - only front, back, sleeves, & hood
This is what is holding up the complete finish. I wanted to embroider a dog on the pocket. First I sketched the dog on wash away paper. It was hard to fit the fleece and paper in the hoop. Every time I made a stitch the paper split. So, I decided to take the paper off and just free hand the rest of the dog.
Started last night and this is how much I have done.
I will show pictures of the finished jacket as soon as I have time to sew again.
Finding time to sew is a challenge.
Thursday, September 21, 2017
The spider lilies are back. Last year they did not show themselves but this year they are back.
They are my favorite fall flowers. That could be because they bloom on my birthday.
I finished this little fox. Hubby and I both tried to get this in focus but this was as good as it got.
I used variegated perl cotton for the orangy-brown body and tail.
The little fox is going to be part of a play pocketbook for baby Ava. She is very interested in carrying a bag around and fiddling with zippers. I'm going to make something with I Spy features in the patchwork. Here she is exploring my messenger bag. Such a cutie!