Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Repurposing Row by Row Blocks

Row by Row was a fun way to document visits to local quilt shops.
In 2015 I focused on collecting the patterns from as many shops as I could.


I made some of the rows and got stuck on the harder (appliqué) rows.
Above are rows from Mississippi, Memphis, and St. Louis.

Fast forward to 2023.
The Cotton Museum in downtown Memphis has asked for mini quilts (24" X 24")
that commemorate local history.
Not many have agreed to participate, so an appeal was given to make more than one mini quilt.


I looked at my finished and half finished rows and made a plan.
By removing one block on each row I have a square just a little over 24".


Here is the first mini.

Title: Memphis #1 'Rolling on the River'.


I machine quilted wavy lines with blue variegated thread.


The extra blocks from each row are on the back.


I'm trying a new-to-me finishing technique-facing instead of binding.
I wanted to sew the hanging sleeve with the facing.
But -oops- the order of layers was wrong.
I took out a small section and re-ordered the layers. 


Above and below -wrong!


Correct order below.


I ironed the facings toward the back and left the hanging sleeve loose.


The corners were a little difficult to get out.


Below is a close up of the correct layering order if you want to include a hanging sleeve.


Tomorrow I will hand sew the facing down and then secure the hanging sleeve.


I think facing is a fast way to finish a mini quilt.


Love the little anchor included in the Fabric Dock's row.


Next - Memphis #2 Down by the Riverside


Happy Sewing!











 

No comments:

Post a Comment