Monday, March 30, 2020

Quilt a-long finish

Last Sunday I started the quarantine quilt a-long, Elvira. I used a bundle of fat quarters that my mom bought on a trip. Mom never got to use them, so I decided to make a quilt in her memory with her fat quarters.

Gudrun gave live instruction on Facebook several times that day. Thousands of quilters took part. I finished half of the blocks that day.


Monday and Tuesday I finished sewing the blocks and tried different arrangements.
Below the top is sewn in rows and ready for sandwiching.
I made the back out of a 2 yard piece from my stash and leftovers from the directional blocks.



It was the perfect size to pin baste on our dining table.
Here it is ready to be quilted.


First I stitched in the ditch down all the major seams and around the outer edge.
Then I trimmed off the extra backing and batting. (My favorite part.)
Then I quilted each row with straight and wavy stitching.
i used a light grey Aurafil thread for the piecing and quilting.
It blended well with all the colors and wasn't obvious like white thread would have been.
I lengthened my stitch from 2.5 used when piecing to 3.0 for the quilting.


I had a half yard of yellow grunge that was the perfect amount needed for the binding.
I cut the binding in 2.5 inch strips and folded it in half.
Binding was sewn on by machine back first, then front.
All the corners turned nicely.


Front about and back below.
The white triangle is where I will document the details of this quilt.


Close up of the quilting.
I quilted in the ditch on each row, then quilted straight down the center of each row.
Each half was wavy quilted with three lines.
So each row has seven rows of quilting down the blocks.
I don't mark the quilting rows - just eyeball it as I sew.


Folded and ready for writing the details.


All the corners.


I'm very happy with my quarantine quilt.
On to the next project!



1 comment: