Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Three fat quarter challenge sewing

Yesterday we finally gave our secret sewing to our quilty friends at Jackson Quilters. Our president gave us a challenge to bring 3 fat quarters in a paper bag and trade with another member. We had several months to work on our secret sewing and bring the results to give back to the original quilter.
The bag I was given had 3 yellow fat quarters. I made 6 small items with the fabric and added some of my fabric to the mix. I forgot to take photos of the finished items.

The yellow fabric below was the starting point. I added the small rose bud print and the purple to make a half square triangle mini quilt.


The idea for this diamond cathedral pincushion came from
one of my favorite blogs: arabesque-scissors.com from a post on July 16, 2019.
Find it here.

I added the reds above to make a pincushion.
Spinning seams below.



I used the yellow on the back.
Pincushion was filled with crushed walnut shells.


The items that follow are examples of the things I made but not the actual ones.
Imagine them with yellow fabric.


A great needlebook tutorial can be found at nanacompany.typepad.com and was posted October 25, 2011. Find it here. I don't know if it is the first one I saw and copied but it is very good. I didn't hand stitch my version but used the general dimensions and materials.




The quilted sunglasses case directions are found at frommycarolinahome.com blog and the post was September 18, 2017. Find it here. I made these for my students at the end of the year. I keep ear buds and connection wires for my phone and tablet in my case.


The best mini tissue instructions are found on funwithbarbandmary.blogspot.com, kleenex cover. Find it here.
I can't find the date but Barb's directions are very close to what I do when I make this item.


Turning Triangles Mini Quilt idea came from weallsew.com blog from August 1, 2018.
Find it here


My wide open pouch is based on a post on noodle-head.com from June 25, 2012. 
Find it here
I use the directions but change the outside fabric and on the one above I added a strap.

Well, I hope that helps anyone who is interested in making small items from 3 fat quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment