Saturday, January 7, 2023

January Detour

Last week end I made a list of possible projects for 2023.
This week I made something not even close to being on the list.


Uncommon Threads Quilt Guild has a monthly block zoom tutorial where we
practice a new technique. The practice blocks are made into a charity quilt.

This month we cut out pink or red hearts to applique to the background fabric.
After I cut out these four pink blocks I saw the hearts did not have much contrast with the background. 
I decided to make a sample block with the pink hearts and used my own background fabric.
I needed the hand stitching practice for some of my upcoming projects.


Above are two of the pink blocks in progress.
First, a running stitch, then those stitches are threaded with a different color thread.


The finished appliqué with a double threaded running stitch.


I echo quilted around the hearts with pearl cotton #8 using a chenille 24 needle.


In the corners I chalked and quilted some hearts.
The center has lazy daisies and French knots.

Today we zoomed and made our blocks for the charity quilt.
Two hearts have sewn interfacing using the turned interfacing method.
Two hearts have ironed interfacing with the edges turned with glue.
I like the sewn interfacing method best.
My finished block with red hearts is below.


Tell me a story swap list was emailed today.
Surprise! I signed up for two groups. Whoopsie.
I finished the blocks for the cat group but have 20 to make for the other group.
So I know what I will be working on this coming week.

Have a great week.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment