Saturday, October 20, 2018

Barn Quilt Painting

Yesterday I woke up early and drove 3 hours to Caledonia, MS to join other Jackson quilters in a painting class. Rita and her volunteers helped us sketch our chosen designs on 2' by 2' exterior grade wooden quilt squares that had been sealed with white paint.


First we drew a grid using pencils and yardsticks.
Then we drew our design and taped the edges.
Above is my redbird in the taped phase.


The process was easy but involved several taping, painting, blow drying, and re-taping steps.


I added holly berries and an eye dot. Now my redbird is ready to hang outside - but it is raining.
I will post finished outside photos later.

After I packed up my supplies and new quilt block I took a quick tour of the Buttahatchee Barn Quilt Trail in Caledonia. If you are in the area, it is worth the time to drive around and see all the creative quilt blocks on display.

Borrowed these from the Buttahatchie Facebook post.
Welcome sign.

Back of welcome sign


Rita giving instructions.


My finished barn quilt.


It was fun. Hope others get a chance to visit the quilt trail and paint a block.


No comments:

Post a Comment