Saturday, October 20, 2018

All That Jazz Finish

The 2018 president's challenge for Jackson Quilters was a medallion quilt with required shapes and fabrics for each border.
Below is my finished quilt.


I didn't have an orphan block to use for the center so I made the star block and continued adding borders and rows until I had the required center size. The one inch black and white border finishes the center. 
The next border had to have at least one square block and had to contain some of the green fabric.
I borrowed some ideas from quilts I saw online and added the purple tulips at the bottom of that row. I used a dresden plate template to make the sun at the top of that row.


The next row had to use a hexigon shape and the bug fabric, so I made hexy bug jars for the corners.
The third row had to have a triangle and use the dark fabric. I made the row with mitered corners. Oops, one corner had two triangles and one had no triangle.


The fourth row had to have quarter square triangles and use the yellow-orange fabric. I borrowed another idea and made corner blocks that wrapped around the corners. Each was a different color but used the same neutral background fabric.

The final border had to be eight inches wide and contain at least one curved piece block. The required fabric was tan with red and black designs. I made two circle blocks. They are in the middle of the sides. I didn't have any fabric wide enough to make the same 8 inch border, so I used two fabrics with black backgrounds. My idea was to make them look like they twisted at the corners and circle blocks.


I had lots of time and had never hand quilted a quilt, so I bought pearl cotton, size 5, in several colors and started hand quilting. I wanted to do big stitch quilting like I had seen online.


Each border had a different color thread for the quilting.


I found that I don't like using a hoop. My fingers ached at first because I had never done so much hand sewing.


The center star is the inspiration for the name of the quilt.
The musicians must be playing Jazz.



The back of the quilt. I used all stash fabric for the quilt, except for the required pieces given to us by the president of our guild.


Close up of the stitches on the back. 


I chose an orange print for the binding and hand sewed the binding.
I am pleased with how my first hand quilted quilt turned out.

Have you tried hand quilting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment