Last Sunday I was asked to make an announcement about VBS (Vacation Bible School). That brought up memories of summers when I was a child.
We went to church, as some people say, every time the doors were open. VBS was held in the mornings for a week in the summer. Actually, I remember some two week sessions of VBS.
These are the things I associate with those days:
- Eating butter cookies - the ones with the hole in the middle stuck on my fingers like flowers
- Playing Red Rover and Freeze Tag in the church yard
- Hydrangeas - one of the teachers usually brought some to decorate the classroom
- Arts and Crafts - one year we made a key shaped key holder with hooks for hanging keys
- Seersucker summer dresses or skirts
- Lining up on the front steps of the church ready to march in
- Waiting for the 'Sit Down' cue from the organist
- Saying the pledges to the US flag, Christian flag, and Bible
- Getting to participate in the opening worship by passing the offering plate or holding a flag or Bible
- Friday lunch with fried chicken, pimento cheese sandwiches, olives, pickles, and chips