Sunday, October 23, 2022

Paper Piecing Newbie

Paper piecing is a new endeavor for me.
I avoided paper piecing patterns for years.
Then UTQG's block of the month for October came up.
Lynn M. had an online session on how to make the paper pieced block.
Paper Piecing finally made sense!


This block was made from 8 sections sewn into 4 squares, then assembled into the block.


I wrote the fabric colors on each section.


Each square was sewn on the diagonal.


Two squares sewn together on top and bottom.


Paper removed and seams ironed open.


Finished!

After that I wanted to make a tea cup shaped mug rug.
The pattern I had was the one below.


I wanted a taller cup with less background at the top so
I drew a new pattern.
The handle had to move up, too.


I am very happy with the finish and I feel pretty confident with paper piecing.


I liked the tea cup so much I decided to make a tea themed wall hanging.
I pulled a shoe box full of fabric scraps to use.


First up, a tea pot in a fabric I really love.
I have a half yard and that may be enough for this project.


I had downloaded and printed the tea pot below.
It was too small so I enlarged it on my printer.


After enlarging the pattern I traced it in sections that I thought would work.


Oops! A foot photo. Haha.

I made the tea pot in 4 sections like the one below.


Look for more tea time blocks next week.

Other sewing-


What happened? A little girl I know cut her school uniform in several places.
She said she was bored but after working on repairing the dress, I think the dress may be the problem.
It smelled odd when I ironed it and the fabric is not as soft as little girl's other clothes.
I think she cut it so she wouldn't have to wear it.
Sometimes it is hard to tell big people how you feel when you are little.

Have a great week!











 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Janice, that was an incredibly complicated paper piecing pattern you began your PP journey with and you nailed it! I started with Log Cabin. And these china projects are beauties especially with your pretty fabric choices. I shared a simple PP project in my Tuesday's post coincidentally. But mine was much easier. Happy Stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize a piece of purple with hearts (on a sleep mask above). That is on Molly's quilt - I believe. You're a Jean-Yus. Oh my. Such fun sewing...but seems quite complex to me. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete