Wednesday, March 1, 2023

SAHRR Flimsy is finished!

The final round is pinwheel block.
I have used fat quarters for all of the rounds.
That means as the rounds got larger I have had to be very careful cutting fabric.

I used Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool to make the half squares for the pinwheels.
It took 1.5 inch strips with very little waste.

My original idea for the final round was to make piano keys with all the leftover fabric.
Instead I used some of each fabric in the pinwheels with a new black print in the mix.
I decided to make 24 pinwheels to stretch that black print fat quarter.


First the squares were chain pieced in groups of four.
That way the squares that went together were sewn together in a line.


After I chain sewed the squares in pairs, clipping between pairs, they were ready to sew as pinwheels.


Mini clips were very handy in keeping blocks together.


Chain piecing was quick and easy.


I thought it would take 12 pinwheels per side.
Oops! I only needed eleven per side.


The extra pinwheels went to the top and bottom.


The square in a square teacups from the 5th round went in the corners.


The flimsy is a little wavy.
Hope it will quilt out.


Next up-
Quilt sandwich, quilting, and binding.
The red check is the binding.
The postage stamp print is the backing.


Finished size is about 34" X 35".

Look for the final finish soon.



 

4 comments:

  1. Love your pinwheel borders! I really like how the sides are different from the top and bottom! Thanks for Linking up!
    quiltinggail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed this project. Thanks for coordinating everything. Janice

      Delete
  2. You already finished your flimsy? I'm SEW jealous!! Best of luck with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, wowie! Finished the top! amazing. I just love it! I love the center heart and that at the center is a heart. I love the colors, the black and white, and your self description is really great. I relate! Might not be the best singer, but always wanted to be and was hired to be in local musicals so it's not the worst at least!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete