Sunday, December 10, 2023

National Parks Quilt #2 Finished

The second National Parks Quilt is finished.
This is the first NPQ started but I got tired of quilting it and put it aside.
Then I decided to finish my brother's NPQ since he was going to be visiting.


This one is going to our daughter's in-laws as a late 50th anniversary gift.
They have done lots of traveling and I hope the posters bring back good memories.


It is backed with a flannel print.

Below is a quilt back that I finished as part of the Modern Quilt Guild backing challenge.
One day I'm going to make a tea themed wall quilt and this will be the backing.


I could not resist making some snow globe ornaments.
The hardest part was finding 'snow' that looked good.


When I hung my Christmas quilts I found one of my early quilts.
I was just starting to finish my quilt tops and the binding looked terrible. 
Each side was bound separately.
There were no nice turned corners.


I could not find the label on the quilt and looked through all my photos 
and blog posts to find out when it was made. I found the pattern in a notebook. 
I took off the binding, then I saw my attempt to document this quilt.


I found some of the backing fabric and cleaned up the binding I removed.
I changed the binding strips to facing and used the extra fabric for corner triangles.


I like the look of the facing on this quilt.
I was very proud of my piano key border.
I changed the block layout on the quilt top.


This top was made as a Saturday Sampler offered by Bernina Sewing Etc.
The Sampler worked like this- the first block had a small fee 
and if I finished it by the next month, that month was free.
Each month we were instructed on how to make the next month's block and listened
to pitches for various tools and quilting extras.


Above is the new finish. I love the no-binding look.


I thought I was so fancy with this border.

The new label covers the old label but it can be read. 


Finally finished the last two felt mitten ornaments started in the fall of 2019.
These will be sent to our NYC grandsons.


I'm making fabric Christmas present bags, too.


The bag above is fun but takes longer to make than the one below.


I've got three more bags to make.
Two more National Parks Quilts need to be finished.
Check back to see if I stick to the plan.

Happy sewing!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment