Saturday, May 9, 2020

Sunset mini

This week I finished two small projects!
Last Friday I cut out the fabric for Sunset mini quilt.
Made half square triangle blocks with the two blocks at one time method.
That made 108 blocks. Then all of them had to be trimmed to correct size.
Good thing I can trim and watch TV.


Here are all the blocks in stacks of twelve.
I didn't use the layout on the pattern.
Instead I made this layout.
The nine patches were repeated three times across and four times down.


Here is the finished center ready for borders.


I quilted on the diagonal every third block.
Binding was fairly quick and easy.
I thought about hand sewing the binding but changed my mind.


Here is the back with hanging triangles in the top corners.
I used a chopstick for the hanger.
Finished size is about 12" by 18".
And I have another one cut out and ready sew.
I plan to change the layout significantly on the next one.


My other finish is this advent calendar.
I bought the fabric in NYC last October when we were visiting our grandsons.
I cut out all the parts but wasn't motivated to work on it.


The directions call for no binding, just sew the backing and turn right side out.
The problem with that is the quilting has to be done last.
I sewed between the pockets and a couple of rounds in the border.
Done except for the hanger.
The backing is out of my stash.
The fabric line and designer are on the leftover strip.


Today my white fabric was delivered. Next project is to make lab coats for the 8 year old and 4 year old grandsons. Yes, I could have bought ready-made cheaper but they requested Gran-made.
Making memories from a distance.
Happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment