Sunday, May 24, 2020

Half square triangle variations

Half square triangle blocks can be arranged in so many ways.
I use my left-over fabric to make a second batik half square triangle mini quilt.
Same number of half square blocks.
Trimming is so tedious.


My first idea was to make diagonal lines. 9 by 12 like the original.
But I wasn't happy with mixing in different fabrics in the lines.


Zigzags had the same problem.


Then I tried diamonds in a 10 by 12 layout.
But there were spaces left open.
What to do? Make more half square triangles?


I decided to cut some background squares and move the black pieces to the top and bottom.
I sewed in columns instead of rows.
It made sense to my brain.


I cut the backing earlier and had to make sure it was still big enough for the 10 x 12 new layout.


There was enough room for the border and that way all the points would show.


All quilted and ready to hang.
Two mini quilts from one kit.
I'm keeping this one and donating the other to our silent auction.



You can check out the first mini here.

What are you sewing?

Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment