Sunday, June 16, 2019

Are mystery quilts for you?

Do you participate in mystery quilt-alongs?
A little background -
Last summer I took my first Bonnie Hunter class and loved it. She is a great teacher and a great person, very positive and helpful. I am scheduled to take another class from her in August.
I finished the Churn Dash quilt shown below.


I have never taken part in a mystery quilt-along. I like to know what I'm going to have at the end. I love reading mysteries but mystery quilting, no thanks.
BUT I had such fun with Bonnie's class last summer I decided to print all the directions for the Good Fortune mystery quilt. I waited to start because I didn't have time during the school year.
Below are my blues and neutrals, ready to be cut.


I just finished the X blocks and as you can see I did not strip piece the orange sections.
I ended up making 32 of these blocks. The directions said to make 240 small 4 patches. Each larger block uses 8 of these. When I saw that only 25 X blocks were to be made, I looked all over the directions to find out what to do with the other blocks. Also, I had cut out enough orange pieces for 32 blocks. So I decided to make a bigger quilt with 32 X blocks and 31 blue/green blocks.
I found I don't like working with so many seams. These X blocks were a bear to sew and I can't imagine how hard it would have been with strip pieced orange rectangles.



So, maybe mystery quilt-alongs aren't for me. I am going to try one more.
My Carolina Home has started Scrap Dance Minuet Mystery Quilt.
I have chosen some fabric and printed all directions.
The thing I like about this one is she has offered 7 different sizes. I'm going to make the throw size.


My question is, "Are mystery quilts for you?"
Day lilies and zinnias in our garden.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment