Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Second Round of SAHRR

Star block was chosen for the second round of the Stay at Home Round Robin.
I wanted to use fewer small bits but still make a 3.5 inch block.


I cut 1.5 inch strips of the background and 1.5 inch yellow squares.
Sewed them together just a thread over from the diagonal.



The first block was made with 3.5 inch by 1.5 in strips of background.
After measuring this block I cut the other background strips 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. That worked perfectly.


I am using some fat quarters of Curiouser & Curiouser that I bought at Gotham Quilts in NYC when I visited our grandsons in the fall.
I used the rose on yellow for the center of the star blocks and added two strips on either side of the block in the border.


This star block is tricky to make but I love it.
The first side piece is only partially sewn on the center block.


The second and third side pieces are sewn completely.
The fourth side piece is a little twisty to sew.
The key is leaving 1/4 inch unsewn on the first seam.



The corner fabric is the roses on yellow that ties in with the center queen of hearts.


Below is the back of the star block.




Here is my finished 2nd round.
I'm going to add some decorative stitching around the heart.
Will show that in the next round.


Happy sewing.





 



 

5 comments:

  1. Such happy little stars! Definitely a trickier method for those stars, but it works well! Thanks for joining us this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so rarely think of those ways to eliminate a seam. I like how your colors continue to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting Star block! I must say, I rarely choose a block with partial seams, if there are other options available. Way to not let them intimidate you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty fabrics you are using. That is a really interesting way to make the friendship star - love them!

    ReplyDelete