Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Designing an Autumn Floor Quilt

We have enjoyed having a floor quilt at our front door.
I bought 3 kits and took a class at The Sewing House with the designer of the kits.
The floor quilts work well with the seasons: winter, spring, & summer.

I needed to make one for autumn.


I wanted a sunflower, pumpkin, crow and cornstalk.


I looked at online quilt designs and open source line drawings.


I realized cornstalks have a tasseled top.


The crow needed a place to perch.


On the pumpkin or ground?


I liked the cornstalk in the middle.


The pumpkin needed a leaf.


I appliquéd the stems down first.
All the pieces except the stems have double sided fusible.


The stitching holds the stems in place.


Next I outlined the leaves and flower.


I was very pleased with the leaves on the corn.
I fused triangles of green fabric, then cut the leaf shape.
The leftover fabric was perfect for the top tassel.


The crow is made from overlapping scraps.
I might add an eye (white or yellow).


All parts are stitched down.


I played thread chicken with the heavy top thread.


Barely made it!

Now I have to quilt and bind.

Happy Sewing!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment