Saturday, December 31, 2022

Last week of 2022

Ava came over Monday to work on projects.

First was an angel decoration.



She chose a tightly woven fabric and used the sewing machine to sew the design.
She added narrow silver ribbon to outline the piece.

Below is her first draft on linen with a loose weave.


I took the first draft angel on linen fabric and outlined with a backstitch in black pearl cotton.
Ava's original drawing on the right.
(Washable Crayola thin marker was used to trace the design and washed out well.)

The second project was an outfit for her lovee penguin.

I made a pattern several months ago so we pulled it out of her project box and got to work.

She chose material out of my scrap boxes. It needed a zipper and button.
I suggested a short invisible zipper. As I cut out the pattern Ava said it needed a zigzag hem because penguin likes zigzags. It also needed a pocket for things penguin collects at the beach. Ava said she had to remind penguin to empty her pockets because some items picked up on the beach smell bad if they stay in a pocket too long. I think Ava needs to write a book about penguin's adventures.


Above - zipper application.
Below - pocket with caution-danger trim so penguin can be safe.


The zigzag hem has stay stitching 1/4 inch from the edge.
There is an optional 3 color belt.


It was fun to get some projects made with Ava.
We have another session scheduled for next week.

I signed up for a block swap that starts in January.
I have to make 20 blocks to swap with 9 other sewists.

Tell me a story cat blocks - paper pieced.
I found a cat fabric I love at the local fabric shop.
 We are using the book on the right to make our blocks.


Last night I finished eleven blocks.
I'm doing 4 different blocks. I will send two different blocks to each person in my group.
Can't wait to swap.


Today I had some productive sewing time so....
Final construction for 12-31-2022 below.
I have 17 blocks finished.
Ready to bring in 2023.


The seven blocks left will start off 2023 in the morning.


I have finally started hand quilting My Small World.
I am using #8 pearl cotton. My stash didn't have all the colors I want to use.
I'm waiting to get more thread colors from DMC.


Next time I will post my proposed list of sewing projects for 2023.
What is on your list for next year?







 

No comments:

Post a Comment