Friday, October 7, 2022

My version of a project bag

I took a free pattern from the internet and made some changes to make the bag fit my projects.
Documenting my changes for future reference.
The project bag takes 3 fat quarters, a batting scrap, a 14" or longer zipper, a piece of netting 13" X 18". 


I cut two pieces of fabric 13" X 18", added the same size batting and stitched around the edge 1/4".
Then I quilted it free motion on my sewing machine.


My zippers were shorter than the pattern suggested so I made some changes there.

I cut two 1.5" X 18" pieces from the front and back fabrics, then sewed the zipper between the fabrics. 
The zipper panel was short so I added two filler pieces of the same two fabrics - cut about 3" X 2.5" for each end.


I wanted fabric at the top and bottom so I cut a strip 2.5" X 18" from the binding fabric.

When sewing the filler pieces I stopped 1/2" from one side so I could fold under when I sewed the zipper to the net. If I had a longer zipper I would not have to do this step.


Above the zipper strip is ready to be sewn to the net.

Below, the bottom strip of fabric has been sewn to the bottom of the net piece.
I topstitched to clean finish and trimmed the fabric to the size of the netting.


The zipper was longer than the netting so I trimmed it after topstitching it.


This photo is out of order.
I sewed the zipper to the netting with the back fabric first - about 3/8" seam.


Then I turned and finger pressed the seam. Topstitched the front fabric to close in the raw edges.



Above is out of order. I measured the space needed for the filler fabric.

The original pattern called for a handle. I wasn't sure if I needed a handle 
but I knew I did not want it sewn inside the binding. 

I cut a piece of the binding fabric 4" X 12" and a piece of very stiff interfacing 3/4" X  11".
Topstitched the interfacing between the folded handle fabric.

I folded the raw ends and stitched the handle in place by finding the center of the 18" side and sewing 2" on either side of the center about 3/4" below the edge.


The rest of the assembly was easy. Baste the net front in place, sew the binding on the back, turn and sew on the front. The net was a little longer than the 13" side so I folded a little tuck where the fabric and net joined the bottom. As I stitched the binding down on the front I caught the handles so they stay up.


I do like the handle.
Here is my first project bag filled with a cross stitch pattern and supplies.
The zipper goes from right to left. 
Works for me since I'm left-handed.


In other finishes - a mug rug or small wall hanging started at quilt guild.

Carmen shared how to use tiny scraps by fusing and gluing.

I'm calling this 'Dragonfly Sunset Mist'.

Tulle on top of the scraps and quilted in a zigzag stitch.
Binding is from mom's stash of purchased binding.


One last item-
I sewed flannel on the back of the measuring tape on my name tag for comfort.
I also used washable marker to outline my name to make it more readable.


That's all for now.
Going to NYC to stay with the boys next week.
I may get to Gotham Quilts while I'm there.

Happy sewing!







 

1 comment:

  1. The project bag turned out beautifully. I also use net for project bags, dont see the point of having to wrestle vinyl though the machine.

    ReplyDelete