Friday, March 4, 2022

Hey June! Progress

 This week I machine quilted Hey June and finished the binding. The batting is polyester - something I have not used in a quilt before. I am big stitch quilting each block to make the quilting a little closer. I am using 6 different colors of DMC #5 pearl cotton thread. So far I have done 3 blocks. I like having a hand sewing project to work on in the evenings.

 Sharing photos to remember how I did this one. Below my big stitches around the block. Sometimes I sew with my left hand and sometimes with my right hand. Depends on where the stitches need to go.


I am left handed but sometimes it works better to sew right handed.
Anyone else as mixed up as me?


A view of the back. I quilted on the diagonal lines, across and down on the quilt block intersections.


I had to add a little to the back on both sides. Oops!


The white corner triangle is for my label. 
I will write on it with a permanent roller gel pen when all the big stitches are complete.


Another view of the backing. The original plan was to make a sleeping bag.
I made the basic quilt bigger by adding blocks.


The binding turned out great. I am getting much better at sewing the binding ends together.
I sew the back on by machine then the front - also by machine.


I tried something different with the machine quilting.
I worked on each quarter of the quilt starting in the middle and working outward.


One more look at the whole quilt.
I am using yellow, pink, gray, green, lavender, and violet pearl cotton for the big stitches.

Having fun sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment