Friday, August 18, 2023

Memphis Mini Quilt Finished

Lots of photos in this post.
I finished the 3rd Memphis History Mini Quilt yesterday.
The photo below was part of the inspiration for this mini.
Memphis Botanic Gardens is a family favorite. 
One well-known feature is this bridge.


My plan was to include the bridge, some flower photos from my mom's stash, 
and an unfinished row-by-row block I started in 2015.


I made a foundation of blue and green scraps and started playing with fabrics to layer on top.
Above the fish and water are in place. The flower photos are applied.


Which red and grey for the bridge?
Which greens for the trees?


First try with the bridge and trees.
That medium green doesn't look right.


Medium green turned a different way.
Trying tree trunk fabrics.
A pebble path and light yellow behind the brighter trees.


Which fabric for the tree trunks?


Tree trunks?


Trying the butterflies and dragonflies.


Final layout with trimmed insects.
If I were doing this again I would trim the individual day lilies, too.


Backing, batting, and top -ready to quilt.


Vertical quilting about a half inch apart.
I started in the center and continued until the right side was quilted.
Then flipped the mini and did the other side.


Close up of quilting.


The back of the finished mini.
I quilted horizontally after the vertical quilting was finished.


I used a variegated blue in the bobbin and variegated green for the top. 


Mini clips were handy to keep the facing, corners, and hanging sleeve in place.


After sewing and trimming the facing and corners, these tools were helpful for pushing out the corners.
The mini clips were used again to keep the facings in place while I hand stitched everything down.

Now Memphis #3 can join the other two mini quilts I made from recycled row-by-row blocks.


Memphis # 1 & #2 above.
Memphis #3 below.


It is truly finished when the label is written.



Looking forward to seeing all the mini quilts at Tuesday's Uncommon Threads Quilt Guild.
Happy sewing.

























 

No comments:

Post a Comment