Saturday, June 17, 2023

Rescue Dog

This doesn't look like a dog but once upon a time it was a cute corduroy pup.

The stuffing had disintegrated and I thought I could easily fix this childhood treasure.

I'm not sure what my mom used for stuffing but all that was left was dust.
Even the little tail had gritty brown dust inside.


I started emptying the toy in my sewing room.
Oops! Brown dust every where.

I turned the dog inside out to undo the tail.
I decided the only way to get rid of the embedded dust was soaking the fabric in cold water.
After swishing it around several times and running fresh water through it, 
I squeezed the excess water out and put it on the screened porch to dry.


I used pearl cotton #5 to embroider a nose and eyes.
The original eyes were glued on pieces of yellow corduroy.
There wasn't a nose/mouth as far as I can remember.


I outlined the eyes with brown pearl cotton and stitched a brown iris on each eye.


After I embroidered a nose and eyes, I stuffed little doggie with polyfil.

Next, sewing the tummy opening.
As I stitched I realized how fragile the corduroy was.


I used a variegated brown thread to close the tummy.


To make the closing almost invisible I used a ladder stitch.
Next time I will pull the stitches tight after a stitch or two.
Pulling this many stitches was not the best way to close the opening.


So cute!
His ears just naturally stand out.

He reminds me of a favorite picture book from my childhood 
about a little puppy who was invisible, Nothing At All by Wanda Gag.


I may have the pattern for this little stuffed dog in mom's pattern collection.
When I have a chance I will look for it.


Little doggie has a home with my baby photos and bronzed shoes.
Very pleased with this refurbished little stuffie.

Planning to get back to National Parks quilts next.

Happy sewing.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment