Sunday, April 24, 2022

Resurrecting an old project - Sally, Dick, & Jane

When I started quilting the first quilt panel I bought was based on the first grade reader: 
Sally, Dick, and Jane.
I remember learning to read with this series of primers.

On the panel there were 10 large pieces 7" X  8" and 10 small pieces 3.75" X  4". 
I started framing the blocks over ten years ago. When I pulled the half started pieces out I could see how much I have improved my quilting skills. So I ripped off the frame fabric and started over.


I decided to make all the blocks 12.5" square.
Above the panel blocks are finished.
I wanted to make the quilt bigger so I decided to make 10 scrappy blocks.



Above are the different blocks - two scrappy blocks with pinwheel centers,
ten small center panels, ten large center panels, and at the top eight blocks with 16 squares.


One possible layout. My mom would say that is one BUSY quilt.
Maybe plain white sashing will calm things down.


Close up of top for reference later.
May switch some blocks around.


Below is the bottom half for reference.


I missed the link up with Wendy's Quilts and More.

The layout above kept bothering me.
Before I could get to sleep I thought of another way to order the blocks.


I'm still working on this. I have added white sashing.
The rows are sewn but I'm still working on the order of the rows.

Look for more progress next time.

Happy Sewing!







 

2 comments:

  1. That is fabulous!! Love the fussy cut centers. So nostalgic too. I remember the very first time I sounded out a word from one of those books in 1st grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blocks; whichever layout you finally choose it will be beautiful, and you'll love it for all the happy memories it contains!

    ReplyDelete